Sunday, August 05, 2007

Barry Bonds and All That Baggage

Barry Bonds has officially tied Hank Aaron for the all-time homerun record. I don't get what the big deal is. I mean I understand the big deal is he is about to pass the record but past that. The whole back page of the sports page was pretty much dedicated to bashing him. Local readers wrote in their opinions of Bonds and the chase I think maybe four were "almost" positive. Some of the negative ones were just plain ignorant. One man even went as far as to say Bonds was a bad father. Excuse me sir do you know him? I just don't get it, we as average Americans sculpt what we think of the athletes and actors on our T.V.'s strictly through what the media says. Yet the media's ethics are the very things we complain about. I am sure that if I was famous I would get fed up with the camera's in my face all the time. Who can blame Bond's for not spilling his guts to reporters. People criticize him on all levels not just the athletic, without having a clue to who he really is. How can someone judge someone they have never met. Reporters can say what they want but all they have met is the public Bonds they don't really know him, yet they constantly make assumptions like they do. Sure there are the steriod accusations as well, but nothing has been proven so how can we tag a guy as a cheater when there is not legitamate proof. There are and have been many players who use steriods and will never be detected but no one bothers them. And even if in some years later Barry is proven guilty, that really doesn't change the fact that he hit all those homeruns. Hundreds of players have stormed through major league baseball on all sorts of performance enhancing drugs but none of them ever hit 755 homeruns, the feat in itself is astounding assumed drugs or not. Sure it is argued Hank Aaron didn't do drugs he was a model player, a model guy. I am not saying he ever did drugs but I am positive his slate isn't clean. We mess up...it's human nature, what makes one mistake bigger than another? So for now I am resigned to accepting Bonds record as it is, he has done the job, he deserves the credit. Who are we that we can take that away from him, that we can judge him? Not God I know that much.

Carrie Out

No comments: